When Are We Going To See One Operating System To Control Them All?

I'm talking about having one piece of software that can be used for servers, desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and televisions. I'm tired of trying to learn my way around all these different pieces of software because they are not cross compatiable. What I do with one Operating System on a product, I would like to be able to do with another. For example, I would like to be able to install and use the same photo editing software for my desktop as I do for my tablet. Why? For better and smoother workflow...

Ubuntu is working on convergence to do just that, but I'll believe it when I see it. From what I understand it's still over a year away, set for sometime in 2016. Although, I've never seen complex applications being developed get released on their target dates, so I'm guessing 2017 would be more likely. The Ubuntu community boast claims of a Ubuntu TV and Smartphone, but to me at this point both seem to be vaporware.

Microsoft as paid attention to what Ubuntu is doing and is now claiming to be working on convergence, which I think is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Have you seen windows 10, yikes... It will never be one piece of software to control them all, just software that looks the same, but isn't. Kinda like Windows 8.1 compared to Windows RT. They are marketed to be the same, but they are from it. You cannot run the same applications on Windows 8.1 on Windows 8.1 RT. Not just because of the hardware limits, but because they are completely different architecture. This is why Windows Surface blows compared to the Windows Surface Pro.

ATM, I have Ubuntu as my server, Windows 8.1 on my desktop, Windows Surface (Running Windows 8.1), and Nokia Lumia 635 smartphone (Running Windows 8.1). So I'm trying, but I would like to really get away from Windows and support Free Open Source Software. So I would switch to Ubuntu in a heartbeat if I could get a tablet and phone running it(legit, not hacked).

This is something I think about everyday and it gets so freaking annoying. Perhaps blogging about it will relieve some of my anxiety about it.

...

...

...

Nope, that didn't work.

Related Posts